Thursday, June 19, 2008

Someone buy me a short plaid skirt and knee-high socks.

I have been giggling like a young schoolgirl periodically throughout the day.

Do you want to know why I've been giggling like a young schoolgirl?

Well, I'll tell you. It's because I got the 7th season of The West Wing from my community library today, and I've been watching it. Hee hee hee hee hee!

So the other day I overheard a conversation among some Christian high schoolers I know:

High Schooler #1: If you were a professional photographer and a gay couple asked you to photograph their wedding, would you do it?
High Schooler #2: Probably not.
High Schooler #4: Yeah. Because you don't wanna look like you're supporting gay marriage.
High Schooler #1: Well, but it's not really supporting it. I mean, supporting it would be like making the cake or something. You'd just be photographing it.
High Schooler #2: But still, we shouldn't support gay marriage.
High Schooler #1: I don't really understand how you could be showing God's love, though, if you said no.

(High Schooler #3 was silent on this issue.) I believe #1 redeemed herself for the ridiculous cake-making comment with her observation about God's love. I fought the urge to insert myself into the conversation, but from what I could tell, the deeper question (which I'm sure none of these students quite grasped immediately...except for maybe #3 in his silence) is whether/when/how we show God's love, and whether/when/how we show God's judgment.

For me, the answer is simply that God does not empower us to show his divine and perfect judgment and it is therefore only his to show. We would surely only muck it up. However, God does empower us - indeed, he commands us - to show his love. So though I may agree or disagree with the event itself, I would not run a straight-weddings-only photography studio.

I might even open up a bakery next door.

Much love.

No comments: