Thursday, September 4, 2008

i is just another pronoun.

For a rather long time now, in my journal writing or my note taking, i have been writing the word "i" without capitalizing it.  i am unsure just how this diminished literary self of mine came about, but for whatever reason i quite like it (or i probably would not continue to do it).  i noticed a couple days ago, though, that here in the blogosphere i have continued to capitalize the first person singular.  i'm gonna stop that too.  "i" is not a proper name, it is merely another pronoun and therefore deserves no special treatment as far as i can tell by the rules of grammar.  So i'm going to refer to myself the way it makes sense to me.  In lowercase.  And i guess i thought you should know.

1 comment:

Kristen G said...

Slater... I started that a few years ago (until grown-up-ness required that I capitalize appropriately) and completely agree-- why should "I" have special prominence just because it stands alone?