Friday, May 16, 2008

Summertime, and the livin' is easy; or, Election '08 - You Decide!

Ah, summertime.

Has the boredome hit you yet? It's hit me in some ways, not in others. I don't feel like I have nothing to do with myself, so I suppose that's good. However, I don't always want to do the things that are available. I'm in the middle of 4 books right now, and I rarely seem to feel like reading them. There's a good workout room on post, but I can't spend all day there, right? Perhaps there are myriad other ways for me to spend my time and I simply haven't found them yet...perhaps I accidentally or subconsciously found them but already wrote them off in my mind without actually giving them a chance...hmm, that's a thought that could really mess me up later.

Anyway, how about a few updates?

Currently Reading:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
American Pastoral by Philip Roth
Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
and in the Biblia - Isaiah and 1 Peter

Currently Watching:
MASH, Season 1
Entourage, Season 2
and watching some old Hitchcock - Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rebecca, Psycho...

Currently Listening To:
Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics
the soundtrack to Aladdin
and, as always, Jars of Clay, Norah Jones, and Nickel Creek

So yeah, that's happening.

By the way, I stumbled upon a great passage from Life of Pi the other day. It looks like it could be based in or inspired by a passage in James, but I'm not entirely sure that was the author's source. See what you think:

"There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustaining frame of existence, were something weak and helpless. These people walk by a widow deformed by leprosy begging for a few paise, walk by children dressed in rags living in the street, and they think, 'Business as usual.' But if they perceive a slight against God, it is a different story. Their faces go red, their chests heave mightily, they sputter angry words. The degree of their indignation is astonishing. Their resolve is frightening.
These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart. Meanwhile, the lot of widows and homeless children is very hard, and it is to their defence, not God's, that the self-righteous should rush." -- Yann Martell, Life of Pi

"22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.
26If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." -- James 1:22-27


Scriptural precedence, or just plain common sense? You decide! Election '08.

Anyway, um, um, where was I? Kinda lost my train of thought. Uh, well, uh, okay. Anyway I, I know it's kinda been a roundabout way of saying it, but I guess the whole point I'm tryin' to make here is: I. Hate. Sauerkraut! That's all I'm really tryin' to say, and, by the way, if one day you happen to wake up and find yourself in an existential quandry, full of loathing and self-doubt, and wracked with the pain and isolation of your pitiful meaningless existence, at least you can take a small bit of comfort in knowing that somewhere out there in this crazy mixed-up universe of ours, there's still a little place called Albuquerque (or, Seventeenth Slate).

Whoa, where did that come from?

I suppose I'm going to go quench my boredom elsewhere, now. If anyone is out there reading this (ha, yeah right), and has any questions, or recommendations for entry topics, or anything like that, please please please let me know. Leave a comment, or message me on facebook. It's a good way to keep in touch and a great way to keep this blog going over the summer. Seriously, I wasn't joking with that "Election '08" joke. You decide.

Let me know, yo. Peace and much love. Slater out.

No comments: