Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Truth is Truth

We all know about Mohandas Gandhi. He preached non-violence in the face of British imperialism, playing a crucial role in gaining India's independence, and he remains one of history's most inspirational political and spiritual leaders.

So now that I have my next movie to talk about, I don't really have much to say. I doubt that many people reading this have seen Gandhi, the 1982 biopic directed by Richard Attenborough (the old guy from Jurassic Park) and starring Ben Kingsley in a stellar performance. But you should. It is a wonderful film with strong messages about injustice, independence, marriage, and obviously non-violence, among others. Since Gandhi is pretty straightforward and since Gandhi is pretty straightfoward, I'll just leave you with a quote that pretty much sums it all up.

"Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

No comments: