Monday, April 28, 2008

A Moderately Serious Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

(Note: The following was written on Saturday, April 26, when I lacked internet access sufficient enough to just post it here.)


I want to thank everyone who came to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. It is impossible for me to explain how much it means to me. But of course that will not stop me from trying.

I do not perform for my own benefit. I don’t do it for recognition or congratulation. I am on stage for the audience, I’m there to entertain. I believe that God gave me a gift for entertaining people – I like doing it more than anything else, and other people seem to like me best when I am doing it (though perhaps I should wonder why people like me more when I am pretending to be other people…).

I love being able to make people laugh, make people cry, make people think. I love being able to take people away from their own lives for just a few hours and let them experience a different environment and atmosphere. I love offering that kind of escape because when I do, there is a degree to which I feel that I am fulfilling God’s purpose for me. When my friends come to see my performances, it gives me tremendous joy. It is the people I care most about telling me that how I am spending my time and energy is worthwhile, that it isn’t all pointless, which it sometimes feels like it is, frankly. So again, thank you all so very much, I love you all lots and lots.

Now, this show was a fantastic way to end my freshman year here at UNC, but the year isn’t quite over. We’ve finished classes, but we still have exams to get through, but then I (and plenty of others) will go to Rockbridge, Intervarsity’s leadership training camp, and I know that is going to awesome.

I have more to say about the closing of the year, various musings, ponderings, and thanks to make, but that is for a different entry because I haven’t quite figured out what I want to say yet. Until then, rock on with your bad self.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I read this poem today on LiveJournal and think you should check it out.

“Emptiness”
by Jalaluddin Rumi